Tuesday 22 September 2015

Strasbourg and Paris!

I got back from Paris Sunday night and I’m moving there today – not the most thought through plan in the world but it was a lot of fun and played a big part in making me feel ready and less nervous. I'm actually really looking forward to going back now!

This was the first time I’d ever flown alone and to make matters worse my flight was from Gatwick, so after waking up at the crack of dawn, I found myself on a three and a half hour National Express coach ride from Bristol. I had woken up at 6.30am and therefore I was not a happy chicken. You can imagine my dismay when some loudmouth woman got on and started shouting down the phone – this happened every half hour, and despite my polite shhing, she didn't stop I was relieved when I finally made it to the airport and could escape the shouty lady.

For those of you who are lucky enough not to have flown out of Gatwick, it’s big. And confusing. And an ickle bit scary when you’re on your own in an aiport for the first time. I managed eventually and before long, found myself sat listening to the flight safety talk; I decided to actually pay attention this time. Now we didn’t crash or anything but it was definitely a bumpy flight: it was the worst turbulence I’d ever experienced, quite a few people screamed at pointsm the seatbelt sign never went off and even the cabin crew were told to sit down. Typical that my first flight alone was the scariest. Luckily I had my HP with me (Harry Potter et l’ordre du phénix) which always makes me happy.

Navigating from Strasbourg Airport to my friend Hannah’s flat was interesting to say the least. I had to battle with a very confusing ticket machine at the airport’s train station – it only let me pay on card so I was charged £1.95 to buy a 2 euro ticket – not impressed. I then succeeded in getting a taxi all on my own from the main train station to Hannah’s. I was very proud of myself but I was yet to discover that this was the easiest bit of travelling I would do.

My first night in Strasbourg was fantastic, it is a beautiful place. Hannah and I shared a bottle of wine by the river and I tried sushi for the first time, it took some getting used to but was very yummy. I then got to see a light show as the cathedral is celebrating it’s millennium this year. My phone camera is rubbish so didn’t get any good photos but I found a youtube video for those interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-haQy9GjVh8.  We spent the rest of the night drinking more wine and singing Disney songs in French…standard.

Day two I had to make my way to Han’s university to meet her for lunch. It went very well and I was waiting outside the law building five minutes early. Quarter of an hour later and still no signs of Hannah I started to panic – my phone wasn’t working and I had no idea where she could be. Luckily I decided to venture into the law building and discovered that there were two entrances, and of course Hannah was there waiting the other side. Lunch was a delicious falafel burger, chips and salad with a drink for only 7,50 euros (although my diet coke was flat :( ).  I then sat through a three hour long law lecture, yep 3! I made sure it was productive though and wrote my last blog post during it!

That night Hannah and I devoured 20 euros worth of cheese, watched lots of modern family and went to sleep far too late (1am). The next morning we were up at 5am to catch our  train to Paris, I slept the whole way there so nothing of interest to report except that their trains are much nicer than ours. Two and a half hours later we were at the train station and got distracted by shops, my purse 50 euros lighter we headed to Vaucresson where we would be staying with the family Hannah used to work for as an au pair.

My stay there was amazing and a real test of my French; we played Monopoly (I won, of course), had sushi again, opened a bank account, learned how to play the Harry Potter theme tune on the piano, had a picnic, went to the cinema and got our nails done. Alcohol, bread and cheese were a must daily, which wasn’t good for my waist line! It was lovely feeling like part of the family for the weekend and I was sad to leave.

While in Paris, Hannah and I visited where I’m going to be living, Boulogne-Billancourt and it looks great! It’s much busier and bigger than I thought it would be but it’s reassuring to know that there will be a lot going on. I’m moving there today and it’s still not hit me really! I will update soon on the move and settling in J

Bisous à tous


No comments:

Post a Comment