Tuesday 1 September 2015

Where has the summer gone?!

Somewhere between working three jobs, learning to drive and getting a tad addicted to Humans, summer passed me by and it’s already September: which is both incredibly exciting and a tiny (maybe not so tiny) bit scary. For those of you who didn’t already know, I am spending my third year abroad in Paris as an au pair and an English Language Assistant. That’s the exciting bit. The scary bit is that I am spending my third year abroad in Paris as an au pair and an English Language Assistant. Oh boy.

I’m three weeks from uprooting my life and moving across the channel but a never-ending pile of forms has forced me to do what I do best: procrastinate. Though, as any expert procrastinator will know, I’ve been preparing by doing things that are as essential, if not more so, than paperwork.

Besides the obvious and numerous To Do Lists I’ve written made up of actual important things I need to get sorted like opening a French bank account, and getting a French sim card etc. I’ve reached new procrastinating highs.

So far I’ve spent nearly £20 on stationery, which is entirely justifiable 'cus as a teacher and student notebooks, coloured pens and some more notebooks are essential with a capital E! I’ve also written an extremely detailed list of what I need to pack including, if you’ll believe it, specific items of clothing, which I think you’d agree is very helpful, and therefore essential, when moving abroad (let’s ignore the fact that packing is yet to begin). 

An unavoidable consequence of having a list of things to pack is that it made me painfully aware of the (essential) clothes I was missing: cue a couple of hundred pounds’ shopping spree. I know you could say that was a bit superfluous but I definitely need more than two pairs of jeans and without new gym clothes how will I ever get down to a size 8 again. See, essential.

But now it’s September the procrastinating has to stop. My last shift at the pub is Saturday night, I’m heading upstairs after this post to start packing and in a fortnight I’m visiting my friend in Strasbourg where some serious organisation is taking place. I’ll probably blog about my time there 'cus I know you’ll all be desperate for another update...

As much as this post is about how quickly summer went, I'm now wishing the next three weeks would hurry up! I'm in contact with the girls who I'll be living with: they're all lovely and I’m sure we’re going to have an awesome time. I've had  months of stress, forms, money problems and a severe lack of information, now that’s coming to the end I just want to get started. I’m sure I’ll get more nervous as the 23rd creeps nearer but until then I’m just enjoying being excited.

Sorry this post is pretty boring, it’s just an introduction and I promise there’s better to come so please stay tuned (though it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s only family who are still reading: Hi Nanny Lynn!).Who knows how often I’ll post (if anyone remembers my last attempt at blogging you’ll keep your expectations low) but I’ll aim for a weekly update Sunday nights :)

Bisous à tous



No comments:

Post a Comment