Monday 9 November 2015

I'm almost Parisienne, I think...

I have lived in Paris for almost seven weeks and until this weekend I still felt like a bumbling English tourist. Every chance I got, I tried to be more “French” or do something you need to do when you’re here, which became tiring and ultimately counterproductive. This week, I relaxed and things improved drastically.

To start with me and Clémence had the best five days together since I started looking after her: we made biscuits, she sat on my shoulders, we watched The Swan Princess over three days and I even straightened her hair! Instead of dreading the amount of tantrums I’m going to have to deal with, I now look forward to my two and a half hours with her and planning what we’re going to do.

The Low Bats
Friday was a day of two halves as I spent the morning moping around doing nothing. But at 3pm I gathered the motivation to go to the launderette; something I’m still trying to get used to doing in France. This time everything went a lot better and my clothes were washed and dried without any of my previous problems (like forgetting to put in a washing tablet...) After picking Clémence up we got the bus for the first time, which is something I do all the time in England but was a daunting prospect in Paris. We did it and Clémence even impressed our fellow passengers with her English vocab! Straight from work I went out to a bar near Oberkampf with Anna and it was such a good night!

We saw the Low Bats and Selenian
The bar is called Pop In and it is comprised of four very small rooms over two levels. It was quirky with live music and hipster people. It was free to get in and Happy Hour was about to finish when we arrived at 8:45pm so we quickly grabbed a pint each for 3 euros. Three glasses of wine later we were both a bit tipsy. We got talking to three guys and had a great time with them, or at least I think we did - I was quite drunk. It’s surprising how fluent in French I am once I’ve consumed several glasses of alcohol! The music was very ‘cool’, Anna described it as psychedelic and lasted a couple of hours. We got the last metro home and woke up Saturday with one of the worst hangovers ever!

Best brunch ever!!!
Being hungover didn’t stop me getting up at 9am Saturday morning as I was going to meet Hannah and her Dad in Montmartre for a proper French brunch! It was such a lovely day and the brunch was delicious. For 17 euros you get a hot drink, a fresh glass of orange juice, a fruit salad, a yoghurt, a boiled egg with soldiers, a massive bowl of fried potatoes, salmon on toasted bread and a little cake called a madeleine. I was so stuffed when I finished that I barely ate the rest of the day. We spent the rest of the day wandering round the little streets of Montmartre, climbing and descending hundreds of steps while we were at it, all the time avoiding the creepy street vendors who don’t take no for an answer. It was a little sad to say goodbye to Hannah at the end of the day but we’re seeing each other in 7 short weeks for New Year celebrations so I think I’ll just about manage.

Sunday morning, Charis and I went for a swim which was super fun. We swam lengths for about half an hour and then explored the smaller, more fun pools including one outside with a lazy river. I never thought I’d start a November morning on a lazy river in Paris but now I can say I have! Yesterday afternoon Laura, Charis and I went to the Palais de Tokyo for an art/photography exhibition. We paid 8 euros to get in and then got given a top of the range camera to take photos of the exhibit. It was such a nice change using a camera that works instead of the silly htc camera on my phone. As well as simply taking pictures of the exhibition, there was an interactive section where we could have our photos taken in various cool ways. We had a kind of time lapse taken of us in a kaleidoscope and another photo using torches. Keep an eye out on my facebook page for them cus they’re pretty interesting. The day ended with a quick drink in the museum café which was on a terrace facing the Eiffel Tower – it couldn’t have been more idyllic. 
weird art
my best photo


Laura and Charis!
So that sums up my weekend. It was the first time I felt completely settled and confident for days at a time and I think it’s because I stopped trying all the time. I did things I do in my day to day life back home without worrying and in French; it's a great feeling. You can’t experience everything a place has to offer if you’re constantly trying too hard or in other words being a tourist. I’ve come to realise this weekend that to really feel settled, part of a city and on your way to being Parisian you just have to embrace the culture and relax. I can’t wait to feel like that every day.

Bisous à tous xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment