Sunday 15 November 2015

What to write when there are no words...

It’s Sunday, which means a blog update, but there’s only one thing I feel I can talk about this week. I’m still in shock and processing the events of Friday night, so this post will probably be slightly incoherent.

Just 10 short months after the terrible shootings at the Charlie Hebdo offices, Paris is suffering again. I remember hearing about the attack in January, seeing ‘Je suis Charlie’ everywhere on social media sights and being shocked that such an atrocity had happened so near to home. I never expected that on moving to Paris, I would experience another, much scarier act of terrorism. The feelings you experience are ten fold when it’s your home.

Friday night I was home alone, in my lounge, watching a film and for once I’d left my phone in my bedroom. I had no idea what was going on the other side of the capital. Laura came home from church and told me what had happened and was still happening. I was in shock. I felt sick. How do you take that information in? I’m still not sure I have. I rushed to get my phone and assured my family I was okay.

I was suddenly hit with the reality of what had happened when I saw the amount of worried messages from friends and family to check I was okay. Tears sprang to my eyes at the amount of people who cared and whose first thoughts on learning of the attacks was that I could potentially be affected. I, and everyone I know, were very fortunate and were nowhere near any of the explosions or shootings. I feel incredibly lucky as we have spent many a Friday night in the centre and it could so easily have us. 

We stayed up until the early hours, glued to the news, ringing family members and trying to get our heads around what had happened. For hours all we could hear outside our window were sirens. We haven’t done anything this weekend, partly because we’ve been advised to stay home but also  out of respect; it didn’t seem right to be out doing things just because we were lucky enough not to be directly affected.

Obviously Facebook and other social media sites have been flooded with support and #prayforParis which is very touching, as well as people highlighting that Paris is not the only city to have suffered at the hands of terrorism this week, which is also an important thing to remember. I was shocked to discover that other places were suffering but weren't getting the same media coverage.

However, there have been a couple of posts online that have made my blood boil and my heart break for the millions of Muslims around the world. I cannot comprehend how people can justify blaming millions of people for the acts of a few disgusting excuses for human beings. I would like to take this blog post as an opportunity to reiterate what a lot of my friends have already said online. Terrorists are not Muslims. Muslims believe in peace and do not condone any acts of terrorism. So think about that before you condemn an entire religion for the horrific events of Friday night. They are not to blame.

Finally, I just want to say that while I will be mourning the losses of this weekend, and taking some time to deal with everything, I will not let this change the way I live my life. I will not let the actions of these men stop me enjoying this beautiful city I now call home. I will not live in fear of what might happen. I will continue to live the way I always have. I will not let the terrorists win.

RIP to everyone who has lost their lives to terrorism, no matter where in the world.
My thoughts are with the friends and families of the victims.

Bisous à tous xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment