Sunday 3 January 2016

Flying home for Christmas

First of all I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Second of all, I just want to apologise to my three dedicated readers for the lack blogposts: I decided to make the most of my short holiday by not writing. To be honest, even if I’d wanted to do a post the internet in our village is not conducive to uploading anything and I didn’t even bother to take my laptop home. But I’m back in Paris now armed with speedy wi-fi and a serviceable laptop so I thought I’d fill you guys in on my short but absolutely wonderful Christmas in Bristol.

I’d been looking forward to going home since the 27th September (the day my parents left Paris) but when the day finally came I think I was in denial, I wasn’t letting myself get too excited because I had a feeling something was bound to go wrong. Turns out the only slight problems were a 40 minute delay at Charles de Gaulle and an overly chatty little boy sat next to me. Once I'd landed and collected my suitcase, the happiness I felt when I saw my dad waiting for me at arrivals isn’t easy to describe, it felt so right to be home and after so long away I was determined to make the most of my 10 day stay.


Dad drove around most of Bristol trying to find a Fish and Chip Shop because I said I’d been craving it but unfortunately due to my delayed flight everywhere was shut. In the end, we settled for garlic bread and cheesy chips from a pizza place near Pensford. Once home, it felt like I’d never been away: the dogs bounded up to say hello; the house was chilly as always and beautifully decorated - I relaxed instantly, weeks of stressful lesson planning melting away. My little sister, Poppy, had made me a welcome home poster and Mum had tidied my room. It was so good to be home.

My first full day was jam-packed, I got my hair cut (a present from my auntie and uncle – thank you again!) at Hair by Knight in Whitchurch, I definitely recommend Lucy, she’s amazing! Then I went to see my grandparents, did a bit of shopping and drinking with my granddad and then treated myself to a two-hour treatment at England’s Pamper Room: full Swedish body massage and a luxury facial was just what I needed to start the holidays off with a bang.

I spent Friday night back at The Carpenters Arms where I work in Stanton Wick and it was lovely to see everyone, I did some more drinking there too! Saturday daytime, I went to Chepstow with some old school friends for lunch, it was lovely to catch up with them all, even though I don’t see them often enough it’s always such a giggle. Saturday night, Molly and I went into town for a much needed night out and some more drinking…She did my make up and I think I looked pretty good, even if I do say so myself (she’s a talented girl - check her out ).

The days leading up to Christmas were a blur of last minute shopping, seeing more friends and family, drinking more wine and cider than I thought was humanly possible, cleaning the house while cramming in festive films and songs! I loved every second of it though; I was in a constant state of happiness and just could not stop smiling, I was at home, surrounded by people that I love and could not get enough of it. I think I irritated some family members by being in such a buzzing good mood when they were a bit touchy – I’m sorry!

Christmas Eve came and I was like a little girl all over again (except that I had the obligatory couple of festive drinks), I helped my mum get Christmas dinner ready, I made my own veggie stuffing and we laid the table all ready for the next day. We played a game that night, just the six of us, and I think it was my favourite part of my entire time at home. I can’t accurately put into words how much fun we all have when we play games together – we’re all very competitive so it gets tense, but then Molly would say something silly and we’d be rolling about laughing, or Mum would tell Dad off for not speaking fast enough. I remember thinking in that moment that I was the luckiest girl ever, that feeling intensified when me and Poppy won for the first time in a long time.

I woke up at 6.45am Christmas Day (still in little girl mode, evidently) and I woke the other three up. Our Christmas morning routine is always the same, we take our stockings into someone’s room, sit in a circle on the floor or bed and take it in turns to open a present each. It sounds like such a simple tradition but it’s one I love and will cherish because I’m sure there aren’t many Christmases left where we will all be home.

At 7.45am we woke Mum and Dad up with coffee and thanked them for our amazing stocking presents, I’d done particularly well this year and got a groovy contact lens case among other things. We didn’t go into the front room until Mum and Dad were downstairs, another rule from when we were little that we still stick to today. This year us kids decided to give out all of our presents first so we could spoil Mum and Dad straight away.

Molly, Jack and Poppy all got me such wonderfully thoughtful presents and I was surprised how well they’d done on such small budgets – Molly got me a jumper from ‘Urban Outfitters’, Jack got me a Sherlock calendar and Chris Ramsey’s new DVD (which was super thoughtful as he’s our favourite comedian and I was unable to see his latest show live, living in Paris and all), Poppy got me some pyjama bottoms/leggings, sweets in the shape of sushi, a Game of Thrones Poster and a Michael McIntyre DVD (which I’d also got her because we’re so in sync!). Mum and Dad outdid themselves as usual and I’m in love with my new fluffy coat, leather handbag and wireless headphones.

We then went to the pub for our traditional Christmas drink, which was lovely as I got to see family who I hadn’t seen since September. Christmas dinner was delicious but slightly calmer than usual, as we had no guests for the first time in years. We then snuggled up to watch Michael McIntyre, which was great until all of us but Molly dozed off. We all woke up when the other halves Charlie and Demi turned up and we put on It’s a Wonderful Life, our favourite Christmas film that we watch every single year.

Boxing Day was spent with my Mum’s family and I was the designated driver! Driving for the first time in 3 months was scary but I didn’t crash or stall so I’m considering it a success. We went to my uncle’s and it was crazy like it is every year, there are so many of us that giving out presents takes hours. I loved everything I got so thank you so much famalan! The day after Boxing Day was spent with my Dad’s family which was equally fun and I got the best present I’ve ever, ever received from my grandparents: the Deluxe Illustrated Edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. It is gorgeous and I love it.

And that was it, Christmas was over as quickly as it had began, I left on the 28th to go to Strasbourg for New Year and I was very sad to be leaving everyone. I had the most magical Christmas and I could not have asked for more from my friends and family. Thank you so much. It was slightly strange to be at home, and I’m sure any fellow Year Abroaders felt this way, it’s almost like my life is split completely in two now and going back home was surreal at some points. Now I’m back in Paris all I want is to be curled up on the sofa with my Mum but I’m sure the homesickness will fade soon.

Sorry that this post is essay length and if you’ve made it this far thank you very much!


Bisous à tous! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment