Sunday 17 January 2016

Getting healthy here is hard...

If you read my last post you’ll know that I am trying to be much healthier in 2016 (and actually stick to it, unlike the previous five years!). I couldn't have chosen a worse country to change my habits though! Adapting a healthy lifestyle in any foreign country would be difficult but giving up dairy in the land of cheese is inadvisable. I've encountered a few other difficulties, so I thought I'd share them with you! 

1) What to do when wine is cheaper than water…

Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration but it is certainly not easy on your wallet doing Dry January in France. My first experience of this was in Montpellier where I paid 5€ for a mocktail in a bar, while the people around me were paying less for lager. To make matters worse, the French don’t really do non-alcoholic drinks very well: it’s fruit juice or a fizzy drink, both of which always cost the same if not more than alcohol. I miss all the exciting soft drinks that England has to offer and even the not so exciting but essential – soda. Soda is my go to drink at meals, nights out etc. and I miss it so much. Who'd a thunk it? 

2) Milk is in everything!?
Obviously France is the home of cheese and I now notice every fromagerie, but my other dairy related problem's aren't strictly France's fault. Until giving it up, I never really thought about how many things contained dairy. Of course, there are the obvious things like butter, cheese and cream. But over the last couple of weeks I’ve realised that I can’t eat cake, biscuits or yoghurts. This is probably good for my diet but is sad nonetheless. Luckily I’ve found some yummy replacements like hazelnut milk for my hot chocolates and cereal, and now I just munch on fruit or veg instead of biscuits.

      3) Why is eating healthily so darn expensive??
      I did a food shop yesterday that consisted largely of fruit and vegetables, some eggs and fish, some peanut butter (we’ll get back to that in a sec) and some cereal. It came to over 30€! The heartbreaking fact is that if I’d gone in and bought some pasta, some cheese, some crisps and chocolate, I’d have spent half of that. I am beginning to understand why people find it so hard to lose weight – it seems like the more calories something contains the cheaper it is. As for any rule, there is an exception and that is peanut butter: probably the little indulgence I allowed myself. It cost over 4€! The cost of nuts in France is nuts!

     4) Exercise is slowly, very slowly, becoming my friend :)
I’ve never liked exercising for the sake of exercising. I love dancing, playing football or going for a nice walk somewhere. So, trying to exercise here, around my busy schedule, was hard going at first. But, I’m getting there. I’ve been going swimming a few times a week, doing some workouts from home and the bike rides were supposed to start today. Me and Sapphire wanted to cycle to the Eiffel Tower and back but we needed to pay a 150€ deposit each for the hiring of a bike - what?! As neither of us have that kind of money hanging out in our bank account we decided to power walk there instead. It took us an hour and we did 10,000 steps! 

So, that's my life at the moment. It's tricky but going fairly well so far.
I hope all of your New Year's Resolutions are going as well!

Bisous à tous
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment